Frequently Asked Questions




Click on a question to see the answer.

Where is the Bancroft-Clover Water and Sanitation District Office located?

The office is located at 900 S. Wadsworth Blvd. in Lakewood, Colorado. The main telephone number is 303-922-1113. The office is open from 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday – Friday.

What utility services does Bancroft-Clover provide?

The District provides water and wastewater service to portions of Lakewood and unincorporated Jefferson County. The District operates and maintains the water distribution and wastewater collection systems and bills and collects fees for these services. Bancroft-Clover does not operate the storm water collection system or collect any storm water fees. If you live in the City of Lakewood, please contact the Lakewood storm water utility at 303-987-7615 for storm water questions.

How do I start, stop, or transfer service?

Starting, stopping, or transferring service can be done in person at the District office, by calling us at 303-922-1113, or by completing a transfer of service request online.

Are there minimum monthly charges?

Yes, all properties connected to the water or sewer system are subject to a monthly minimum service charge based on the size of the water meter and the type of use. For newly connected residential properties, the sewer volume minimum is 5,000 gallons until the next calendar year. For new commercial properties, the sewer volume charge will be calculated based on comparable properties within the District.

When are bills for service issued to customers?

Bancroft-Clover reads meters in the middle of each month, and the bill is sent the first week of the following month. Payments are due the last day of each month. A 5% late fee is assessed for balances not paid within 35 days of billing. For example, for the bill period January 15-February 14, the meter is read on February 14, the bill is sent between March 1 and March 7, the payment is due March 31, and late fees are assessed on bills not paid on April 5.

Can I change the due date on my bill?

No, but you have until the end of the month to make your payment, and no late fee is incurred until the 5th of the following month.

What payment options are available?

The District’s customer payment options include:

Can I access my account and pay my bill online?

What if my account is disconnected for delinquency?

The account must be brought current, including any turn-off fees and late fees.

Do I have to be at my property for water service to be turned on?

Yes, for your protection, we ask that you be present when service is turned on. Appointments are set at the customer’s convenience, and unless cancelled, a missed appointment fee may apply.

Sewer Problems / back up?

Bancroft Clover Water and Sanitation District uses industry best practices to maintain its sewer collection system and reduce the chances of a mainline blockage. The District jet cleans and televises one third (appx. 200,000 linear feet) of the system each year.


Common Causes of Sanitary Sewer Backups

Sanitary sewer back ups can be caused by a variety of conditions. Some of the most common are:

Clogged pipes – clogs can be caused by baby wipes, kitchen grease, paper towels, hair and hygiene products. To learn more about what not to flush visit

Root Damage- Deep roots from trees and shrubs can penetrate pipe joints and cause blockages. These root bundles also collect grease and debris that add to the problem

Cracked pipe and separated joints- Pipe and pipe joints can shift due to ground movement, age, temperature fluctuations and roots

Mainline Backups- Even with regular maintenance, backups are unavoidable. Cause can include natural disasters such as flooding, vandalism and root intrusion


How can I prevent a sewer backup?

Have your service line inspected and maintained regularly

  • A plumber can assess your risk and install a back-flow valve or sump-pump to help safeguard your basement.
  • You can also use grease-fighting liquid dish detergents such as Dawn® to break up grease blockages.
  • Never flush or wash these things down a drain:

Diapers / Hygiene Products – These are designed to be especially absorbent and don’t dissolve quickly

Fat, Oil & Grease – Kitchen or auto grease, oil, and fat accumulates in pipes and forms clogs.

Facial Tissue / Paper Towels – Unlike toilet paper these aren’t designed to dissolve in water over time

Wet Wipes – These don’t dissolve quickly and can cause clogs even if the package says ‘sewer safe’

Toys or Other Foreign Objects – These are a common problem in households with children.

What to do if you experience a backup?

  1. Don’t run any water down any drain in your home until the stoppage is cleared.
  2. Call a plumber to assist with clearing the issue, closing your drains, and assessing the situation.
  3. Call your utility to report the issue. They’ll recommend action and check the main line for issues.
  4. Call your homeowners’ insurance company to determine what coverage may be available.

Who cleans up the mess?

You do. If the backup occurs in your line or in the main line as a result of anything other than the utility’s negligence, it is your responsibility. Your utility is not responsible for your service line, or for acts of nature or vandalism. In most cases, your utility will help you coordinate clean up with a cleaning service, but ultimate financial responsibility lies with the homeowner.

Insurance Options

Your homeowners insurer may offer coverage for sewer and drain backups. It could provide thousands of dollars of coverage for relatively low cost. Contact your agent for more information.

Who should I call to locate buried utility services at my property?

At least 72 hours before you begin any excavation, contact the District office at 303-922-1113. Location service is provided at no charge.

What is a grease trap?

Grease traps, also called grease interceptors, are specialized tanks that capture the oil and grease in hot, greasy wastewater by slowing down the flow of water and allowing it to cool. As it cools, the grease and oil separate out of the water and float to the top of the trap, while solids accumulate at the bottom. The cooler water continues to flow out of the trap to the sewer while baffles and screens in the trap help keep the accumulated grease and solids from flowing out.

Ask a new question.

If you prefer, you can call us at 303-922-1113 or email your question to